So that coffee machines and other devices
always know how much there is in their tanks
Capacitive multi-channel sensors for level measurement from EBE take over manifold tasks in high-volume products. They are also suitable for industrial applications. The sensor systems monitor filling and liquid levels, e.g. in
- Appliances: coffee machines, steam cookers, washing machines, dryers, steam irons
- Production plants: food and beverages industry, chemical and pharmaceutical industry
- Medical engineering
Besides continuously measuring level sensors the product range also includes level switches with single switching threshold.
The development is made according to application-specific requirements and properties of the medium. The capaTEC® and corTEC® technologies developed by EBE form the starting point of our product development. With highly adhesive media corTEC® will be used.
Level sensors from EBE remain permanently stable in terms of temperature and humidity with exclusion of condensation. They can suppress and compensate liquid films and condensation in the tank.
Furthermore, the system is robust against parasitic capacitances. Such interferences may occur if filled tanks are touched. Metallic components in the vicinity of a tank can also have an impact. Even potential ground contact of the liquid does not affect the measurement system. This effect may occur in case of contact with a metal pump.
If tank materials are not conductive the sensor can be placed on the outside of the tank. In this case the measurement is made contact-free through the wall.
In case of planar geometries the electrodes can be integrated into the PCB at low cost.
In devices with removable tanks the presence detection of the tank is easily possible through an additional housing wall.
In metallic tanks the sensor can be introduced as a rod probe. It measures the filling level in direct contact with the medium.
Development of Level Sensors for the Individual Customer Project
EBE sensors + motion develops level sensors for the specific application of the customer. The geometry of the sensor unit can be perfectly adapted to the installation space available. The assembly concept and the planning of high-volume production develop in close cooperation with the design department of the customer.
In the development of a specific level sensor the design of the electrodes is a decisive factor. As the type of plastics and material thickness of the tank wall vary in each project the sensor is individually adapted for optimum performance.
By means of 3D-field simulation it is possible to optimize and calculate the electrodes for the operating and ambient conditions in advance.
As the electric measurement field of the level sensor also permeates the tank materials the latter become an integral part of the sensor system. This has to be taken into account during the design stage.
EBE also realizes the interfaces of the sensor, connectors and the type of signal output precisely according to the customers’ requirements. In this way the level sensors can be integrated into existing environments quickly and easily without redesigning the device.
Prominent features of level sensors from EBE:
- Contact-free capacitive measuring through container wall and machine housing.
- Full compensation of temperature and humidity.
- The algorithms distinguish fluid columns, drops and condensate.
- They can even detect and signal biofilms on the inner wall of the container and suppress their influence.
- The level sensors are not affected by touching the container or by electro-magnetic influences.
- Empty containers are reliably detected.
- Individual mounting options at containers and housings:
- Adhesive bonding, screwing, staking, plastics holders, overmolding
Capacitive Level Sensors – Ideal for Appliances
Capacitive level sensors from EBE prove to be reliable helpers in appliances. A few benefits.
- Coffee machines:
- greater freedom of tank design as no floater is required
- simple tank geometry, less costly plastics injection molds
- error-free level measurement in spite of biofilm in tank
- alternative technology for monitoring of coffee bean container
- error-free, contactless determination of drip tray filling level
- Steam cookers resp. ovens:
- heat-resistant sensors for steam generator unit
- contactless measurement of water supply through container wall
- clear distinction between water, drops and condensate
- automatic signalling of replenishment need
- error-free presence detection of empty container
- Washing machines and dryers:
- robust sensor for Aqua Stop systems and condensate containers
- more space in machine due to miniaturized sensor design
- no parts get caught due to deposits or wear
- contactless detection without disturbance by dirt or fluff
- Steam irons:
- cost-neutral replacement of conventional reed switches with magnet floats
- detection of filling level through container wall
- simple tank geometry, cost-efficient plastics injection molds
- no floats required which might get caught due to deposits or wear